DISCLAIMER

I do not publish comments that are left anonymously. I expect people to take responsibility for what they say.

If you comment anonymously, I won't even read it. All comments are sent to my email address prior to publication. When I see that a comment was left by "ANONYMOUS", I delete it without opening it. If you don't care enough to take responsibility for what you say, then I don't care enough to know what it is you've said.

What is always welcome is open discussion in a spirit of mutual respect.

Share It If You Like It

If you read something you like, feel free to share it on fb or twitter or email the link. It helps to spread the word! Thanks.

Monday, August 22, 2011

I Forgot How Fun It Can Be

Parenting, that is.

Everyone who keeps up on facebook and the blog here knows the ongoing saga with trying to get sensor probes for the pulsox monitor that both fit Nathaniel and stay put once we get them on. I keep telling the company that it's the sensor probes, not the monitor, that is the problem. They keep telling us that they can bring us a new monitor.

Well, this weekend, on Saturday, we finally ran out of sensor probes. We turned his oxygen level to 1 notch higher than the bare minimum we had been keeping it. We turned the monitor completely off. That was Saturday afternoon. When Sunday morning finally came, we woke up to find an alert, smiling, goofy little boy waving his arms and "ah-goo"ing. He was so happy. I'm not a medical person, but I believe the 10 hours of having the oxygen set and maintained at a steady level without concern of desaturation of blood oxygen content and being messed with and stressed out by having uncomfortable sensor probes sticking to him made a WORLD of difference.

And not just for him.

We all had a really good time with him on Sunday. We had some balloons from a welcome home present that Lesley's cousin gave us. We put the strings in his hands and he bounced those balloons around and laughed. We tried putting a balloon in each hand. Not good. A little over stimulation. But the look of absolute terror on his face when both of those balloons were bouncing overhead was HILARIOUS. We picked him up without worrying about knocking probes loose. He and I danced to the Hemophilia Rock song we made up for him. (We don't have it written down yet, so don't ask for the words or music.)

Jacob and Caitlin weren't getting shooshed away everytime they wanted to stroke his head and give him a hug. At one point, Nathaniel was laying on the couch, and Jacob had climbed up the back of the couch and was precariously perched back there. I told Jacob to be careful not to fall on Nathaniel. "Because he's so sick, Daddy?" Jacob asked.

"No," I replied, "because he's a baby." It was nice telling Jacob that his little brother was a baby, and not a sick baby. Made me feel kind of normal, you know?

Over the last 7 weeks, I've been so worried about Nathaniel, first whether or not he was going to live to see the next day, about whether we were just prolonging his inevitable death, about whether he is ever going to get off this oxygen, about whether the pulsox readings are right or not, that I forgot what I love most about being a dad.

It's just fun.

I went to Mass yesterday morning, and I cried in Church. I was at my wit's end with the whole thing. I prayed from that deep place, you know, "Deep is calling on deep in the roar of waters." (Psalm 42:8) I prayed for Nathaniel's healing. That prayer was answered. He still has hemophilia. He's still on oxygen. The healing I got was what existed between me and Nathaniel.

Yesterday I was able to stop looking at him as this sick little baby, and I looked at him as my son. I had fun with him. We laughed together. We danced together. We played with his balloons together. We teased mommy together. We even ate an ice cream cone together (well, I did most of the eating, ok, all of the eating, but he was there with me).

It was fun being his daddy yesterday. I had forgotten just how fun it can be.

Being a parent is "wonderful," "beautiful," "miraculous," and all of those other fluffy adjectives. It's also just fun.

I remember that now, and I suspect THAT healing is what will help Nathaniel more than anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment