DISCLAIMER

I do not publish comments that are left anonymously. I expect people to take responsibility for what they say.

If you comment anonymously, I won't even read it. All comments are sent to my email address prior to publication. When I see that a comment was left by "ANONYMOUS", I delete it without opening it. If you don't care enough to take responsibility for what you say, then I don't care enough to know what it is you've said.

What is always welcome is open discussion in a spirit of mutual respect.

Share It If You Like It

If you read something you like, feel free to share it on fb or twitter or email the link. It helps to spread the word! Thanks.

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Where the Rubber Meets the Road

I read an op-ed piece on Pope Francis recently that was very interesting. It centered around the writer's concept of Pope Francis's "practical theology." It suggested and got me to thinking about how theology is so often debated on an ethereal level, and that this theoretical theology is so often what has been the source of divisions within the Church. The first real division in the 11th and 12th centuries between the Catholic and Orthodox rites of the Church was a debate about whether the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son, or proceeds from the Father through the Son. The theology of the Protestant Reformation and the split that occurred among Christianity then, and continues to occur today, has a lot to do with people's understanding of the nature of salvation. This article reflected on how Pope Francis has put all of this theoretical theology to the side to show the practical nature of our faith. Pope Francis greets the people in the street. Pope Francis washes the feet of the prisoners, even women and non-Christians. Pope Francies kissed the feet of people dieing of HIV-AIDS. Pope Francis refuses to live in the Papal Palace, but instead chooses a 2 suite hotel room with nothing but a bed and a desk.

I've also been re-reading Henry David Thoreau's Walden and Civil Disobedience. In the midst of my reflection on the article named above, HDT makes a remark right at the beginning of Walden in which he reflects on the necessity of having a "practical philosophy." What good is it, he rhetorically asks (and I paraphrase), to have a philosophy of life that one can not or perhaps does not live?

Practical theology.

Practical philosophy.

Mnsgr. Greg Higley is the pastor at St. Andrew Parish in Holts Summit, where my wife and I attend Church. His homilies throughout the Easter Season have been reflecting this same theme. It's nice for us to say we love Jesus. It's important to go to Mass on Sundays. But at some point, our Christian faith has to be put into practice. We have to love that co-worker that is so grating to our nerves with that philial, Christian love. We have to show charity in thought and deed to our own family members. We have to live Christian, not just say we are one.

So while all this has been going on, a good friend, Pastor Ron Zamkus of Southridge Baptist Church, has been faithfully sending out what he calls his "Daily Power Pills." Pastor Zamkus sends these emails out, which often are quotes from spiritual reading that he does. One of the texts he has been quoting lately is a book entitled Not a Fan. I have not read this book, but the jist of it that I get from the exerpts that Pastor Zamkus sends out makes the distinction between Christians who are "fans" of Jesus, and Christians who are true disciples. A fan is someone who listens to the words of Jesus, hangs out in the stands, and cheers whenever something good happens. A disciple is someone who lives the teachings of Jesus, who makes the self-sacrifice to follow him. I am challenged by these not to be just a fan, but to be a disciple.

So you probably get where I am going with this.

It occurred to me tonight when we were at Mass, "I don't want to be a 'practicing' Catholic Christian. I want to be a 'practical' Catholic Christian." I want to be someone who actually lives out my faith in my actions. And, man, do I have a long way to go. A looooonnnnnnnnngggggggg way to go. But I'm on my way.

At least, if I can quote St. Joan of Arc, "If I am not, I pray God make me so; if I am, I pray God keep me so."

Our faith is not a set of ideas. Our faith is not a canon of ethereal, philosophical truths. Our faith is not a set of traditions and fancy clothes and art.

Our faith is, first and foremost, a living relationship with God that is actualized in how we treat each other. For me to control my anger and not say a harsh word out of charity (true caritas) is my faith. For me to be patient with my children is my faith. For me to let someone in front of me in line is my faith. For me to give time, talent and treasure to charity and organizations is my faith.

In this perspective, the whole "faith vs. works" debate (another ethereal, philosophical twisting of words that has divided the One Church of Christ) becomes moot. In this perspective, there is no difference between faith and works. Maybe this is what St. James (listen up now, it's JAMES we're listening to) was talking about when he said,

"What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and has no food for the day, and one of you says to them, 'Go in peace, keep warm, and eat well,' but you do not give them the necessities of the body, what good is it? So also faith of itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

"Indeed someone might say, 'You have faith and I have works.' Demonstrate your faith to me without works, and I will demonstrate my faith to you from my works. You believe that God is one. You do well. Even the demons believe that and tremble. Do you want proof, you ignoramus, that faith without works is useless? Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered his son Isaac upon the altar? You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by the works. Thus the scripture was fulfilled that says, 'Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,' and he was called 'the friend of God.' See how a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. And in the same way, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she welcomed the messengers and sent them out by a different route? For just as a body without a spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead." (James 2: 14-26)

I got a little carried away there quoting this, but I couldn't help it. As I read it, it sums up what my thoughts have been for several weeks. "You believe that God is one. You do well." An ethereal truth, a statement of belief, but then James really socks it to us, "Even the demons believe that and tremble." Knowing that God is one is not enough. We must live out our faith. Our faith and our works must be one and the same.

Maybe this is where we can begin experiencing the unity of the Church again; not in trying to resolve our theological differences on the nature of God, but in standing side by side regardless of denomination at a soup kitchen. Maybe instead of debating over the succession of the Apostles in the ordained ministry, we can pray with each other for the success of a Pregnancy Help Center to offer an alternative to abortion in our community. Maybe instead of endless debates on the nature of salvation, we can work with each other to provide shelter, clothing and food to the strung out addict or the prisoner who is released after years of incarceration with nothing but the shirt on his back and a train ticket away from prison.

Maybe we can DO our faith on Monday through Saturday, and not just profess it on Sunday.

This idea has crystalized for me, and captured my imagination. I have begun asking myself, "How might I better live out my faith?" This is not an ethereal question that ends in "pray more and be nicer." This is practical.

I need to get rid of my cell phone plan. There is no reason for me to be spending that much money on something that I don't need. Get rid of cable television in the house. What do we do with it that we can't do with regular television anyway? Look in my closet. How many pairs of pants do I actually need? Might someone less fortunate benefit from those clothes that have been hanging my closet for years now and never get worn? I'm constantly looking at iPads and other fancy gadgetry that would lead to nothing more than wasted time and distractions. Stop looking at those things. All that does is create a desire for something that is completely unnecessary.

It goes back to those simple questions meant to get at my priorities. On what do I spend my time? On what do I spend my energy? On what do I spend my money? The answers to those questions tells me a lot about my priorities. And I'll admit that some of my priorities are way out of whack. It's time to get serious about doing my faith.

Will you join me?

"This is how all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." (John 13:35)

Let's be practical Christians, not just practicing ones.

1 comment:

  1. Like, like, like! When Liguorian asked me to pitch a column, I wrote what I thought was a central theme, and they managed to pull from it a nugget that crystallized all my writing: "Just Live It." When I wrote my third book, on the Beatitudes, that thought was the central idea: how do we DO something with all this pie-in-the-sky stuff? It's the talking about it, and not doing it, that leads so many people to decide it's hypocrisy and not real. You can't just be a fan. You're either building the kingdom or tearing it down by ignoring your part of the job.

    ReplyDelete